ok so a while ago a friend of mine suggested that i offer to put up my skinning services for sale. i told her she was absolutely ridiculous to say such a thing. however now i’m kind of considering it. so this is essentially an interest check on such a thing. how many admins out there would be willing to buy a skin for their site? would it depend on the features of the skin? the exclusivity of it? or is the price the over all determining factor? below were somethings i was considering when thinking about this:
different types of skins
- basic skins that anyone can buy and change the colors of to suit their graphics. nothing overtly fancy. probably about 10 to 15 USD. no templates.
- nicer (for lack of a better word) skins with basic site templates and mini profiles (if you’re a jcink user) 20 USD
- custom skin. basically you tell me what you want/need and i do my best to fulfill your needs and make you happy. of course there are some things that i’m not that great at/don’t know how to do. i would let you know up front if i couldn’t do what you do want and would try to figure out how to do it. if i cant figure out how to fix the problem within two to three days i’ll let you know and we can figure something else out. i will even swallow my damn artistic pride and if you want neon colors and comic book sans that’s what you get. 30 USD
- custom skins with basic site templates and mini profiles 40USD
- graphics (header, sidebar, and advertisement) additional 5 dollars. if more graphics are needed then we can negotiate that. though to be honest i don’t even know if i would do graphics because i don’t want to deal with copyright issues and what not.
would any of these skins be available on caution, atf, shine etc
- these skins will not be resources on sites. they will only be available through me. you will receive the codes via email after payment has been received.
- well people suck. and people will steal. i can’t gaurentee that some dick won’t look through the source codes. all that i can do is report it to resource sites that i’m active members of. i encourage you to do the same if you find that you’re ever in that situation.
in regards to pricing
- minimum wage where i live is 7.50 USD an hour. it takes me at least three hours to code a skin and that’s if i do it in one sitting and i’m only doing the basics of the forum and if i’m really inspired. sometimes skins can take upwards of six hours to complete depending on their complexity and that pesky trait of perfectionism that i can’t seem to shake.
how long would it take to make a skin?
- it should take me no more than one week to get a custom skin done.
- if you’re purchasing a basic skin or a skin set i will email the codes as soon as i receive confirmation from paypal.
that’s all that i can think of at the moment. i’ve never run a web based store before. i don’t have any of this set up yet. this is just an interest check at the moment. i would very much like to hear any feed back or tips that you have. you can reply, reblog, send me an ask, fanmail or use submissions to tell me your thoughts. anything is appreciated at this point.
- rebellect likes this
- thorinoakenshixld likes this
- heytheremarv likes this
- stocious reblogged this from heytheremarv and added:
- whittemore reblogged this from heytheremarv
- heytheremarv reblogged this from heytheremarv
- l-gallagher likes this
- hedlunds reblogged this from heytheremarv
- hedlunds likes this
- allisonslahey likes this
- sebs-stans likes this
- badgerointment likes this
- cosimasnicehaus likes this
- crashbangpoppet said: sounds perfectly reasonable since some folk charge upwards of $100 for a basic website (only the pretty with very little back-end)